Overcoming worry

 


*If you are struggling with anxiety please speak with your doctor or seek help. This post is not meant to make light of a serious issue or condition.*


Thanksgiving is an antidote to worry.

The world is changing; our life as we knew it has changed significantly. Major world events have a way of rocking the boat and making big waves. As I write this, the whole world has shut down due to the COVID-19 pandemic. It feels unsafe and scary. Every day there is news of health concerns and injustice. Add to this all the pressures of daily life, work, school, and parenting. No wonder we feel a sense of fear and anxiety looming over us.

But we cannot live life in fear. No one can operate well from a place of worry and stress. It will cripple you and shut you down. So what can you do? How can you break free of the anxiety and fear that has gripped you and me?


Listen to the episode here: 




Philippians 4:6-7 reminds us not to be anxious but to go to God in prayer and to be thankful, then his peace will guard our hearts.

Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:6-7

Thanksgiving is an antidote. It sets your mind on blessings and the source of all those good things (James 1:7). A heart of gratitude fills up with hope. We are reminded of our powerful God who brings us peace.

Yes, even peace in our hearts amongst the chaos and pain. As you give thanks for all that you have and what he has done in the past, God’s faithfulness will reassure you that He will always help you through anything you face.

Notice too that coming to God in prayer, sharing your worries, and giving them to Him will also give you peace. Now don’t just complain and vent and keep those worries in your heart. You need to believe that He will take your anxious thoughts from consuming your energy and time.

There have been many times in my life that I let anxiety take over. The first time we went through contract renewals in our family business worry about our financial stability consumed me. I desperately began looking for ways to earn money and stay at home with my children. To be honest I can barely remember whole seasons of their childhood around that time. Praise God He has taught me an important lesson. I know this world is not all there is for me. I have a heavenly home that is perfect. These troubles here are temporary. I can choose to spend my time worrying or I can live a life of joy. I choose joy.

This was taken from the Joyful Motherhood Devotional. For more information and a free sample of Joyful Motherhood visit www.joyfulmudpuddles.com/joyful-motherhood




How can I help my children with worry and anxiety?

Whatever we practice and learn for ourselves we can also teach our children. When you set your mind on the gift and blessings in your life, you also set you mind on the giver of those gifts.

  • Tell someone about your worries or journal, don't keep them in your head
  • Pray and share your anxious thoughts with God
  • Take time to reflect on times when God has been faithful
  • Remind yourself of His character
  • List your blessings and thank God for all he has done
  • Fill your mind with truths, even write them out or repeat them


Bible Verses about Worry and Anxiety


When I am afraid, I put my trust in you Psalm 56:3 ESV

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. Philippians 4:6
Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble. Matthew 6:34
Therefore do not be anxious, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ Matthew 6:31
So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand Isaiah 41:10
Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go. Joshua 1:9
The Lord is with me; I will not be afraid. What can mere mortals do to me? Psalm 118:6
When you lie down, you will not be afraid; when you lie down, your sleep will be sweet. Proverbs 3:24
We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ. 2 Corinthians 10:5
Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. Philippians 4:8
For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control. 2 Timothy 1:7
Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows. James 1:17
I will give you thanks, for you answered me; you have become my salvation. Psalm 118:21
Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; his love endures forever. Psalm 118:1




Reflect

What are you worried or anxious about? 
Are you worried about something but have no let go of that? 
Are you giving thanks in all areas of your life? 
Do you have faith and believe that God will give you peace? 
Recall a time when you felt God’s peace.



This was taken from the Joyful Motherhood Devotional. For more information and a free sample of Joyful Motherhood visit www.joyfulmudpuddles.com/joyful-motherhood

Come join us on Facebook in the Gentle/Peaceful parenting Community
https://www.facebook.com/groups/159772495411468

Find me on Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest at @joyfulmudpuddles
I’m also on Clubhouse @joyfulmudpuddle 

Comments