How to SIMPLIFY YOUR LIFE from drowning in clutter




Are you drowning in clutter? Do you have piles on every surface, kids toys in random rooms, and an exploding junk draw?


My friend, I hear you and I want you to know my house look just the same way. No matter how often I try it keeps creeping back in. All this clutter causes me anxiety wether I am aware of it or not.

We all know that Marie Kondo has become very popular on Netflix.  While I haven't watch many episodes,  I am a huge fan of purging. I'd say I'm a minimalist wanabe. I've written about the topic in the past here

So why am I writing about simplifying yet again?

Because the clutter keeps coming back! Seriously where does it all come from?

Oh, wait!

It is called life. Real life is messy. Birthdays, Christmas, school projects, crafts, the list goes on and on. Then you look around and you are surrounded in clutter, unless you are amazing at keeping on top of the problem, which I am not. We need to get personal for a moment to share our real life with each other. Not the Instagram or Facebook perfect family version. 


Listen to the podcast episode here:
 




Why Simplify?

In short our lives are becoming too cluttered.  Too much, too fast, too soon.  I know as an adult I feel it and it makes me anxious.  In children it can affect their behaviour in a variety of ways. Many children are simply overwhelmed.  The outside world is pushing on them too much.

“Children need time to become themselves--through play and social interaction. If you overwhelm a child with stuff--with choices and pseudochoices--before they are ready, they will only know one emotional gesture: More!” 
― Kim John Payne, Simplicity Parenting: Using the Extraordinary Power of Less to Raise Calmer, Happier, and More Secure Kids


So what can we do about it?

  • Take some time to figure out your priorities in life (write them down)
  • Determine the space available
  • Save only the most important things (not broken or unused)
  • Remember that we are stewards of our belongings
  • Clear one small space at a time (don't get overwhelmed)
  • Find a home for everything
Decluttering also has a lot to do with our mindset. What are your thoughts towards possessions? 

If your focus in life is on relationships then things aren't as important and are only a tool to be used. But if your identity, or priorities are shifted then keeping up with the latest and greatest things holds more weight. Setting your sights on God keeps you heart on things above.

Some verses to consider:

“Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal." Matthew 6:19-21 

"But godliness with contentment is great gain, for we brought nothing into the world, and we cannot take anything out of the world. But if we have food and clothing, with these we will be content." 1 Timothy 6:6-8

"As for the rich in this present age, charge them not to be haughty, nor to set their hopes on the uncertainty of riches, but on God, who richly provides us with everything to enjoy. They are to do good, to be rich in good works, to be generous and ready to share, thus storing up treasure for themselves as a good foundation for the future, so that they may take hold of that which is truly life." 1 Timothy 6:17-19

Let me know how you are doing with your clutter. I'd love to hear that I'm not alone with the recurring clutter.

More on this series:





For more support join the Gentle / Peaceful Parenting Community

Comments