Mothers Encouraging Mothers




Mothers

Faithfully loving their children

Giving of themselves, their time, and resources

Giving unconditionally

Love

Moms I want to tell you personally how incredible you are. You are a wonderful, caring, powerful force in your child's life.  Just by showing up every day, doing your best and trying over and over again, you are a blessing. You are a great mom!

In giving so much of yourself I know that you often end up running on empty. Sometimes you may feel like you have nothing left to give, or that your patience is running thin. But you cannot give if you have poured out everything you have. I want to encourage you this weekend to recharge, refresh and renew that beautiful spirit inside of you.  I know your situation right now may not allow for much time, but there are so many ways to check in with yourself and meet your needs. It doesn't have to be a big gesture (although that is amazing if you have the time and resources), and you could ask of another person to help with it.

Some self-care ideas that come to mind:

  • Take a shower or bath
  • Have some quiet time to yourself (put the phone away)
  • Read
  • Pray
  • Walk
  • Get outside
  • Colour
  • Draw
  • Create something (this can be done with the kids too like baking or painting)
  • Dance party
  • Yoga
  • Listen to music
  • Drink more water 
  • Savour your favourite drink
  • Meditate
  • Skip some house work
  • Watch a show without guilt
  • Get takeout or have the family make dinner
  • Focus on breathing
  • Do one thing that you love
  • Get dressed in your favourite outfit
  • Call a friend

I know that sometimes you may feel weary. Or perhaps you have another mom friend who is feeling that way. This journey of motherhood can be full of challenges and joys (sometimes in the same half hour). I asked several groups of mothers what advice or kind words they would have for  struggling weary mom.  Their hearts poured out with these encouraging words of wisdom and love.

  • Be kind to yourself and show yourself as much grace as you would show your best friend.
  • Remember that Love is the greatest characteristic anyone could have.
  • My best advice is to plug yourself into a support group of some kind. Even a casual coffee group with one or two others who can relate and offer support for each other. Makes all the difference in the world when you can hear that your not the only one going through struggles. Really it does!
  • Focus on the moment.......be consistent; observant; persistent, understanding, and a good listener. 'No' is not a bad word....teach no from early on. Most of all, teach your children to walk with God, and trust Him, every moment of their lives.
  • Lower the Bar. Anytime I feel like I am getting tired and frustrated to a point that I can see myself becoming a version of myself I do not like, I expect less. From myself, from my kids, for the day. I simply focus on love but throw everything else out the window until I feel recharged and dedicated to being intentional again. Laundry, cleaning, activities, schooling; all of it can wait until it can be done peacefully and happily, by all. Hang in there. Lower the bar.  
  • Take it one day at a time
  • Your best is enough in any given moment. Be sure to take even just 5 minutes for self care here and there throughout each day. Do something that makes you feel happy. When our cup is full, we can then help fill others cups.
  • Give yourself grace
  • Set yourself one goal for the day....I used to write a list of a million jobs a day and then felt like a failure when I didn’t achieve them...now it’s just one job, eg strip and make bed. If I get more done it’s great but if not I don’t worry about it. It’s tough sometimes. Getting out of our house helps too.
  • Keep breathing. It’s never easy but rewarding. Remember to breath.
  • Forgiveness is a huge factor in my life right now. Forgiveness of myself, of others, and others of me.
  • Drop the balls. For real, no more trying to juggle everything. My advice is to stop trying to do it all, to stop trying to be that perfect mom (because she doesn't exist). Try to be present and love on your kids the best you can, and drop the rest of it like a hot potato. Oh, and get away from them... the kids, that is... for at least two hours a week. Knowing that break us coming makes it easier.
  • Relationship trumps academics. Always chose relationship.
  • You're not alone. We all have bad moments even if we only show the highlights to others.
  • If your friend is feeling weary just listen

May you have a fabulous Mother's Day connecting with your family. Hopefully you will get a chance to rest and feel refreshed. Take care and have a wonderful weekend!

Comments